Monday, August 24, 2009

Moving On

The first 5 or so weeks when I was off refined sugar, I was careful to avoid even foods where it was a minor ingredient. When I had a small amount, I could feel it effects immediately - dizziness or sudden lack of energy for instance. Trying to avoid it so diligently was stressful, even though I felt good physically. I was so hooked again when I went "off the wagon" over spring break that I got stuck at the 3 day and/or one week mark over and over again. Finally, I made it through 3 weeks again this summer, but focused on avoiding the really "sugary" foods. What a victory! So last week I went on vacation again (oh boy!) and had some sugar every day. Honestly, it didn't taste that great, and by the end of the week I felt very sick with a headache that lasted two and a half days, plus stomach problems. It just isn't worth it. Tomorrow I re-start! Wish me luck!

Here are some benefits I have when I don't eat refined sugar, but replace it with raw honey, date sugar, or other similar sweeteners:
  • I don't wake up with stomach pain
  • I can go off my stomach medication without side effects
  • I have more energy
  • I have fewer mood swings
  • I don't crave junk food, but feel satisfied after eating a normal meal

No comments:

Post a Comment