Sunday, April 12, 2009

Starting Out

I've been convinced for a long time that I needed to at least eat less sugar, but didn't feel it was possible to give it up. Unfortunately, I didn't seem to be able to eat less either. Then I read the book "Sugar Blues." The book tells about the history of the sugar trade and some of the effects sugar has on the human body. Basically I realized that refined sugar is a drug and the growing and manufacturing of this drug has been supported by governments and lots of money. I felt less guilt about not being able to change my ways before, knowing the deceptive effects sugar has on my mind and body when I eat it. But now I had the motivation and knowledge I needed.

I went off refined sugar on February 8, 2009. That first week I also put into practice some suggestions from "Eat Fat Lose Fat" by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon, and turned off the TV. I knew I didn't need any extra temptation thrown my way by ads. And the other healthy changes in my eating habits would help me start to recover from the effects of all the sugar I'd been eating for so long.

Just being successful at avoiding sugar put me on a high. I lost 4 pounds that week too. I went through various physical stages - a headache for a couple of days, my skin broke out, typical detox signs I think. Every time I got a craving for sugar I would either drink some kombucha or eat something with a little raw honey or fruit. By the end of the week my skin looked better than I remember it ever looking, and I felt great.

No comments:

Post a Comment